The Lake of Shining Waters
After leaving Palmyra and travelling back across the boarder to Ontario we found we had half the day and some energy to do some more exploring and drive over to some of the sites that the Anne of Green Gables movie was filmed at. Although the story is set on Prince Edward Island and some of the filming did take place there, much of it was done in Ontario. Lucy Maud herself said after she had made her home in Ontario that it was the only place that came close to the splendors of the island, so I suppose filming there was okay : ) I have always wanted to see the Green Gables house of the movie and the beautiful bridge that many sweet and moving scenes take place on and this was my chance.
I'd done my research, or I thought I had ... we found the bridge without to much trouble but in a state of absolute disrepair! My research showed that only 5 years earlier it was in great condition but now, it sat, sagging and sad and my heart just dropped. So sad! I spent a little time just longingly looking, then turned and headed back. I'd left Levi and the kids down the lane a little while I went exploring. I went back to them so sad and dejected but found them happy and excited perusing the wood mill on the banks of the lake. Levi was in heaven and while he selected a perfect piece of something to take home, the kids and I played on the waters edge and they performed a perfect little two step partner dance for me. It made all the difference and I felt so grateful that my little people could transform such a huge disappointment to me into a new beautiful memory on the shores of the Lake of Shining Waters. Levi came out and we enjoyed some selfies and sunshine together, my very own Gilbert Blythe showing me life isn't so tragic after all.
From there we set out to the Green Gables house and on the way discovered an airfield full of interesting planes. Unfortunately all of the photo's of this little adventure have mysteriously disappeared so I only have what I posted to Instagram none of which include this little discovery. But it was a great find and we spent some time gazing over the fence at the planes they had as well and walking through some old out of commission ones on the grounds. We even found a birds nest under a plane wing with a little panicked mumma bird who wanted us far far away. We carried on down the road to the house, which is a private property, so not free for the roaming but we did walk up and catch a peak through the trees. Which was just enough for me and Miss Prim who loves all things Anne too. It was just so nice to be there and I'm so happy we made the time and went. With all the adventures had we headed back to meet Jen and Stew carrying delicious Indian to share over tales of our last few days.
This little sojourn wasn't what I imagined, really it was even better. It was our own little adventure, our own perfectly imperfect moment on the Lake of Shining Waters.
Labels:
Adventures,
Canada,
Family,
Love,
Summer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment