In the days before Quill's birth I had a few tell tale contractions, I was thrilled because going past a due date is no fun and after the last 9 months I was ready to say goodbye to pregnancy and hold my baby. The timing was amazingly perfect and a real blessing. Through sheer coincidence my extended family had planned visits right around the time I was due. Tate and Hanna and their children had only left the week before after a busy and wonderful visit, and Shannon and Mirielle and their children were due to come the next week, with Courtney to follow soon after. So the timing was just right, there was a public holiday and we were able to get some last minute jobs done like fitting the carseat and packing for the hospital and it was as if Quill knew we were ready and started on his journey.
I headed to bed around 9pm, all prepared and had a great sleep until 2 am when a contraction woke me. I decided to leave Levi to sleep awhile and sit in our comfy chair on the top landing, looking out at the lake, while I took on the contractions til 6. They were manageable and quite far apart but after those hours I was growing weary and needed a change of scenery and support to carry on. I woke Levi up who called Josh, who was all set to mind the kids and off we went to the hospital. It all felt overwhelming at that point, I always feel scared I'm not far along and it's going to be a long birth but I was already 6 cm's at 7am and that alone made me feel like I could take on all that was to come.
Through my pregnancy I had an amazing team of midwives. I was assigned with the Bluenose team, with my main midwife Katherine as well as Teresa and Kelly. It was definitely the best system of care I've received. We were met by Kelly when we arrived at the hospital and she was wonderful, rubbing my back and totally calming me, she just had this motherly way about her that was so comforting. She told me that the nurses we walked passed said to her that they could tell this wasn't my first rodeo, which gave me a little boast of confidence that I really could manage and I was going to be okay. She suggested a bath once we got to the delivery room and immediately I felt things shift into gear, I think everyone thought it was go time, so I was up out of the bath and onto the bed but it was a little way off yet. The midwives shift changed at this point and Katherine arrived. She had given me most of my antenatal care and knew what I was about, I really wanted her there and again timing was literally perfect and there she was. Throughout my pregnancy I'd felt lots of old fears coming up but Katherine always affirmed that there was no reason this couldn't be a quick, easy birth and even though I'm all too familiar with things not going right, her conviction seemed to overwrite all that, giving power to the positive. And it turned out she was right. The delivery nurse who was on was also brilliant and knowing that the support I needed was all in place really made me relax into the task ahead. It really is a safe, reassuring feeling to be supported by women while you birth. There's a sisterhood to it and I'm grateful to have experienced that.
Something really nice about this birth experience was that things progressed on their own and I didn't need to be induced. It mean't for me that although the contractions themselves were intense, they didn't have the sharpness and between contractions I was able to really come down and have a break unlike being induced. It made for a really manageable birth, that along with having a team that is 100% behind your decision to try to birth naturally and probably my experience too, knowing that it would most definitely be over soon enough. Another really lovely element was having our birth photographer, Laura Dunford with us. She is one of the most positive and happy people I have ever met and she brought a really light and happy presence to the room. She captured some truly treasured moments during and after the birth as well as spreading the kind summation that I give birth like a unicorn - which can only mean with stars and glitter! I'll take it.
So the next two hours was spent channeling those contractions into my baby coming out. Levi was wonderful, he applied pressure to that hot spot on my back for all those hours and affirmed that I really could do this which gave me real strength.Transition felt very obvious to me this time, I was on my knees leaning against the bed and the contractions came hard and fast. In all of my births I've had moments where everything stands still and with Quill's birth it came right as my body prepared to push. I had two contractions where I went completely quiet and felt no pain, the nurse asked me if everything was okay because she could see the contractions happening on the monitor but I made no indication that I was feeling them. It is probably the most I have ever felt connected to my body and it's power. I could feel my birth canal literally opening and my mind was centered on that, it felt like magic within me, a really internal, otherworldly moment of connection. Then after the still, quiet, peace of that, I gave two pushes and my little boy was born into the world. There really is nothing like feeling your baby twist and descend, it's powerful and carnal and such a relief.
The end was very intense for me and I had to take a moment after to collect myself. 'Breathe, you've done it' I thought. I turned around, laid back and then they handed me my tiny bundle. I'd forgotten just has small a newborn is. He was perfect and ours and the wait was over, I'd done it and there my prize was, in my arms. For me that's really when it all begins, this little person, completely dependent on my love and care, is mine to hold forever.
Welcome to the world Quill Michael Catton.
Born 4th September 2018 at 10:15 am





















No comments:
Post a Comment