There are some people who are written in the stars for you. I'm sure that somewhere up there, someone is in charge of aligning things just right, so that you are exactly where you need to be, to meet exactly the person you need to meet. The stars aligned just right for Blanche and I and now I can't imagine my life without her in it.
Blanche is made of a million, tiny, authentic pieces that fit together to create Her. She is rare, she is interesting, she is loyal, she is powerful. She gives you permission to be you, just by being Her. And that's probably the greatest gift she has given me. Because of her, I'm more me than ever.
I love the story of how we met. Once I moved to Halifax, people who met me and knew Blanche said to both of us that we needed to met - particularly because of our shared love of Outlander. So one night I started to send her a message on messenger and at the exact same time she messaged me. It was weird and perfect and just the right kind of happenstance to start our friendship. I think we both must have known that the universe was working to ensure we met and we were patient passengers awaiting arrival. Who knows how you go from strangers to friends? It's a bit like falling in love, you just fall and suddenly it's like they've always been there, there's no pretense or strangeness, you just are. It's fun and exciting and you know it's the start of something great, you've met someone who will change your life.
Before I knew it, Blanche was that friend. She put on an Australian morning tea for me when she knew I was homesick. She did all the baking from my Australia Day party. She took me to her favourite beach the first sunny day that came our way and gave my girl her first experience with sand. We went in search of authentic meat pies together and then did an eating tour of every bakery in Halifax. She prepared my Thanksgiving turkeys, minded my babies, sat with me through the trauma of having my blood taken. She was by my side in an instant with chocolate when winter got too much and fully present as a shoulder to cry on, a friend to vent too and a soul mate to share dreams with. We shared tea and chats, perused second hand book shops, sea glassed, swam in the lake, planned parties, snowshoed, explored nooks and cranny's of Halifax, critiqued every episode of Outlander, danced a night away in a gay bar, had tea with Jane Austen lovers, spent more than a regular amount of time in graveyards and met Diana Gabaldon together - unforgettable. We shared the in's and out's of our life, the good and the bad, the hard and the harrowing. And then she was gone, but 'true friends are always together in spirit' says Anne and we are.
You are dear to me friend. We are tethered always, no matter time or distance. You have lived a million lives and part of me thinks sometimes that you're a true old soul, an enigma really, who will change and grow and be all sorts of people in all sorts of places for the rest of forever. My La Dame Blanche. I hope I get to be with you on some of that journey dear friend xx



No comments:
Post a Comment