Levi headed over a few days early and then I flew and met him in Glasgow. I'd forgotten just how far and how long it takes to get anywhere from Australia but I'd packed knitting and books and the movies got me through the 27 hours and three flights - Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to Dubai, Dubai to Glasgow. It was all worth it when I landed, got in a cab and got to hear that accent. I'd arrived. I was well intentioned, and had planned to explore and push myself til at least early evening to beat off the jet lag, but almost as soon as I got to our hotel room I crashed and no sooner was woken by Levi coming home from work. It was pretty exciting to be meeting up for 5 days together, just us in Scotland. I think we both fell into another short nap but made it in time to wander night time Glasgow a little and find a place to eat.
While we were in Glasgow Levi spent his days working, then we would meet up for dinner, which mainly consisted of burgers, of which Glasgow had many options. During the day I went exploring. That first day I mapped out a route that took me in a big loop around the city. I headed first to George's square and the government chambers which has some incredible architecture, and then on to the Glasgow Cathedral which is big and looming, old and full of history. I really liked wandering down into the lower levels, the stone work was ancient. I had a little look through the religious art gallery they have there and then walked around the grounds and across the bridge to the Necropolis which is set at the highest point in Glasgow and offers an amazing view across the city. The graves kind of wind up the hill, there are huge statues and edifices and it was actually a really cool place to be. It started to rain a little in that soft Scotland way but soon enough the sun was out and I headed over to my next stop the People's Palace. Sadly the winters gardens were closed but I spent some time inside where they have an exhibition of the history of Glasgow. Some of the stories of the women heading to work in the shipyards during the war and the empowerment they felt during that time were very inspiring. Once Glasgow had 40 Shipyards along the River Clyde and was the worlds leader in ship production. I walked through the park and then went in search of some fabric and yarn stores which I found but weren't all that great. This did lead me through the more industrial part of town as well as some residential areas so I really got to see lots of the city. Then I headed through the shopping district, Glasgow really does shopping well, then on to a late lunch and a rest. It was an awesome and interesting first day. I walked 18 km's and really saw the diversity of the city. An amazing highlight came at the end of the day where we went to met Jen, Stew and Emerson, who incredibly were in Scotland and the exact same time as us, taking an epic Harry Potter holiday. Talk about stars aligning. It all seemed to incredible to be real, us there all together, so crazy and wonderful. We spent the evening swapping gifts and stories and just having a great time together as always. Such a great time that we even forgot to take a photo, so it's one that will have to live on in our memories. What a gift of chance.
I'd booked a tour for the next day that took me out into the countryside around Glasgow to see the sites. As soon as we were out of the city Scotland just opens up into the green and rolling scene before you. It was breathtaking and all I had imagined. Our first stop was the little town of Luss set on the banks of Loch Lomond which was quaint and picturesque and the perfect place to wind down lanes and explore. I headed to the loch first which was gorgeous. So wide and not unlike all the Nova Scotia lakes I'm so fond of. What was different was the architecture of the houses, they have their own feel and style that works perfectly in the setting and made you know you were in Scotland. I wound my way down the little lanes and discovered and old, beautiful church and a gorgeous bridge across a stream making it's way to the lake. It was all idyllic. Our guide was great and shared some really lovely stories with us on our travels. My favourite was a folk tale about the geese that come and go from Scotland each year. He said that the belief is that all the Scots who left Scotland and never get a chance to return before they die, come back home as geese so that they can be in their homeland once more. He said that if you even have one drop of Scottish blood in your veins you are considered one of them. It was really beautiful and made me cry, knowing that so many of my ancestors once lived here and their legacy lives on with me. Our next stop was Castle Doune, Castle Leoch from the Outlander show which was ancient and impressive and gave you some insight into how the people lived, even the right ones. The rooms were small but the kitchen was huge! Lots of considerations for potential attacks and lots of space for animals. I listened to the audio tour which was great and made my way around the castle and discovered that it was right by a fast running river, surrounded by wildflowers and I even caught sight of a bunny hopping among them. On our way to lunch we stopped to feed some highland cows which truly are the most adorable animals. They really make you smile and laugh watching their tongues curl around the carrot or potato as their peer through their fringe at you. We had lunch in the beautiful town of Callander which was a great place to roam. I walked up and down both sides of the street and found a cute little highland cow magnet as my memento. For lunch I had possibly the best pie of I have eaten, chicken and leek and then a little apple pie which was delicious. I ate by the pond and watched as the school kids headed into town for their lunch and then back again. We had a quick stop at a Whisky Brewery, which stank! and then it was on to Stirling Castle. It is really an impressive place Stirling Castle but my favourite part was the garden and the exhibition on the recreation of the tapestries of the castle. The tapestry project was a huge undertaking that took 13 years to complete and the artistry and workmanship was unbelievable. Unicorns feature heavily. I saw the exhibition first and then went to look first hand at the tapestries which were incredible. I absolutely love textile art. It amazes me and inspires me in my own knitting and sewing. The gift shop was great here and I grabbed a unicorn shirt for Prim and a canon shirt for Finley. It was a long day of touring but well worth it, Levi met me after my bus returned and we had another burger together!
For my last day in Glasgow I headed to the Willow Tea rooms, which are recreated in detail from the thriving tea room days of earlier in the century. I had a beautiful high tea for one with fruit tea and just sat and enjoyed my own company and the surrounds. I spent most of the rest of the day in the Princess shopping mall. perusing and trying a few things on. After work Levi met me and we bought a few items and had great fun doing it. That night we went out to see the musical Amélie, which was held in a beautiful theatre. We dressed up, making the most of an evening together and had a lovely time despite me feeling a little unwell. Jetlag and flying hours will do that to you, but I can't say it all wasn't worth it, it most certainly was.
Glasgow was excellent, a great city and I had an absolute blast. The first day in my own company felt strange, but by day three, the quiet of my own thoughts, the space to think, reflect, admire, ponder and just be was such a gift. I felt like I tapped into a part of myself of hadn't heard from in a little while and it was wonderful. Meeting Levi each night took me back to our early married days, when we both worked in the city and would meet up for dates and plans we had made. It was lovely to be in each others company, not just as mum and dad but as the kindred spirits we are.
Glasgow was excellent, a great city and I had an absolute blast. The first day in my own company felt strange, but by day three, the quiet of my own thoughts, the space to think, reflect, admire, ponder and just be was such a gift. I felt like I tapped into a part of myself of hadn't heard from in a little while and it was wonderful. Meeting Levi each night took me back to our early married days, when we both worked in the city and would meet up for dates and plans we had made. It was lovely to be in each others company, not just as mum and dad but as the kindred spirits we are.







































No comments:
Post a Comment