A big smile comes to my face when I think of this experience
because it was so terrible but so wonderful at the same time. Our wonderful
stake Relief Society presidency organised an overnight camp for all of the
sisters in our stake. I think that these events are so great, they take lots of
work and planning and really give an opportunity for people to get to know each
other and have a good time. I was excited to attend with Camille and Jen and we
drove down together on a Friday night to the campsite near New Ross. It was
right on a beautiful lake which we were excited to swim in the next day. The
camp was held in mid June and we felt pretty sure that this meant it would be
warm right? Its summer, lots of swimming and surely a sheet and blanket would
be plenty for a comfortable night sleep – yes? No. Ha. Summer really begins
July, what were we thinking?
So we arrived, I was 7 months pregnant, but didn’t give too
much thought to that being a problem, we found our cabin, which was just as
you’d imagine – graffitied with declarations of love by 14 years olds, and then
joined the sisters for dinner and games. It was really fun to see who had come,
there were sisters of all ages, all happy to join together and be a part of a
great event. Later that night they held a bonfire at the beach and shared
testimonies while the lake gently lapped in the background. Camille, Jen and I
went back to the cabin and talked and talked, just like those teenagers who
proceeded us but as the hours wore on we started to slow down and settle into
what we hoped would be sleep. But for me, sleep never came. I was freezing, so,
so cold, my little blanket and sheet were not enough and I being as pregnant as
I was, was just so uncomfortable. This was meant to be summer! But like
numerous other occasions that I have assumed the same thing I ended up
freezing. I assumed that the other two were fast asleep and not wanting to wake
them I just lay as silent as possible wishing the night to end. The hours
ticked by, I thought about crying but realised it would accomplish nothing, so
I just accepted my fate, swearing not for the first time, that I wouldn’t
subject myself to these great ideas again. At about 4.30am, I saw Camille slip
out of the room and once she was back, Jen crept into her bed because she too
was freezing and probably all the more so as she had been sleeping on an air
mattress on the cold concrete. By this point we all realised that each of us
had silently endured the worst night ever. Camille had left earlier to go and
watch the sunset which was at least one positive for her, but all three of us
were desperate to get home, eat, get warm, sleep in our own beds. So we cut the camp short, the sun wasn’t
coming out strongly at the camp until noon
and by then we all wished to be fast asleep recovering.
On the way home we stopped in Chester
at the oldest pub in Nova Scotia
which has a sweet little restaurant and ate our fill of toast and omelettes and
juice. We grabbed bakery treats for the ride and husbands at home who were
going to be looking after the kids a little longer. In our delirium we were
giddy with the hilarity of it all, and once we had eaten and all had a nice,
warm, long shower and a sleep it really did feel like the best worst night
ever!

No comments:
Post a Comment