Forever Friends


Finding fast friends is one of the true highlights of moving. It reminds you that your people exist the world over and that wonderful people truly are everywhere. I can't help feeling though that some relationships are meant to be. That there are just some people that are meant to come into your life. I felt that time and time again in Canada and it was such a beautiful experience.


There are the families that fit perfectly with ours. Jess and Shane Smith and their kids Liam, Owen and Emmett - we had dinners and park dates and shared in all things parenting. Amanda and Joel Speers with their two children Addy and Thatcher, who feed us more than our fair share and made every gathering so much fun with games and the best food in town. Chad and Ashley Quist and their three Sophie, Finn and Isla, who we served along side us and for who nothing is ever too hard including camping in the rain. Nicole and Kyle Nield with their boys Isaac, Ezra, Danny, Wells who always knew what you meant when it came to parenting. Caverly and Nathan Smith were the first to welcome us and invited us to dinner the very first Sunday we were there. We connected immediately and enjoyed such a wonderful year of friendship with them before they moved. The Arnoldson family who we had two wonderful Halloween’s with and our kids loving to play together. Maere and Eric Weed who were great company and helped us so much to settle in. Brittany and Shane Huish with Parker and Lillian were constants, such hard working members who we worked along side in the ward and had such fun with. Jen and Jesse Baradoy with Easton and Nolan who were always up for fun and Camille and Robby Johnson who now have Vera and were just couple perfection. All those wives were dear friends to me and together I probably had the most fun I have had since high school.

There's the friends who were older and wiser and cared for us when we needed it. Monica and Dale Smith, always including us, checking in and being wonderful friends. Jackie O'Hearon who was the best visiting teacher in the world and who cooked and babysat and supported me in any way she could. There was Deborah and Jack Paxton, true angels sent to support us from washing my dishes and minding the kids regularly but also for two whole days so we could explore Newfoundland. Gail Chaisson who bouyed me up and always helped me see the good and Cathy Scully who always laughed at my jokes and would do my quilting when I didn't want to.

There's Katie Laliberte who I got to know through visiting teaching and came to admire and love so dearly. There was Cathy Zinc with her fighting spirit who I enjoyed every single moment I every spent with and grieved her so deeply when she died. There's Goldie Vey who just rejoiced in the gospel and served at every opportunity, even showing up to help me wrap cardboard boxes as presents for the Christmas party. Judy who was born on Valentines Day and is sweetness embodied. Christopher Gbeve who always looked at us so fondly and wanted to shake our hands. There was Krista and Darren Worth, Sharon and Bert Hartling and Donna Elliot always quietly serving and thinking of others including us. Beautiful families and individuals who were constants and lights of the ward, Roisin Vanderput who I served with in Young Womens, Nancy and Kent Wentzel, who always anticipate the needs of others and seem to have a direct line to the spirit and Alex and Amy Hay, just the most beautiful and welcoming people.

I can hardly believe that we were so blessed to meet these people. They embraced us so warmly and I have the most wonderful, treasured memories with each one. My heart misses them, misses being in their presence but what a gift to have known them, to have this fondness that warms my heart. I have this little thought that plays out in my mind, it's that scene in Titanic at the end when Rose dies and she finds herself young again and on the ship, greeted by all those characters in her story. I feel like that's me, that one day, hopefully while I'm living, I'll arrive and be greeted by these faces from my story, who I love and who love me.


No comments:

Post a Comment