All Aboard


I am very lucky to have a Sarah Southall - never ending energy, spontaneous, ride or die Sarah in my life. When she has an idea all I have to do is say yes and the rest is a very good time. So when she discovered train rides from Newcastle to Sydney were free in the school holidays there was nothing to do but meet up with the kids and have a great day together. 

Turns out trains weren't free from Bungendore to Sydney so I drove up with Finley and Primrose the night before and stayed with Courtney. We hadn't seen her place before so it was a fun adventure getting there and having a sleep over. Good old Ryan girls sleep talking together and all the rest. In the morning we caught the train to Central and waited for the Newcastle train to arrive and with much excitement and hugs all around we were together again. 

I love seeing the bond between everyone. The kids are just like cousins and slip easily back in to that old familiarity. It's amazing to see Finley and Harper who were little first friends all grown up and heading into those teen years. Scout and Primrose were in our bellies together and now are these gorgeous little characters full of personality. And of course I just love being with one of my best friends. I miss her so much and these moments together remind me how lucky I was to find her and how lucky I am to have her in my life right now. It's wonderful for distance and time to be no obstacle. She came with Ruth and that duo are the meaning of fun. Nothing like sisters. 

We caught the tram to Paddy's markets and had a good wander and play there. We made our way past hello kitty on our way to exploring the Powerhouse Museum. There was so much to see and do there, we definitely need a repeat. I got to see my old friend Paul McCann's gorgeous gum-nut crown on display and the shuttle and space play was a big favourite with the kids. We wandered across to Darling Harbour and had a big play at the amazing playground with mandatory ice-cream to finish. Then it was time to head to the train for goodbyes again. We had such a full day together with so many lovely memories made. And of course as always there will be a next time. 

The kids and I headed back on the train and then Courtney took them to a movie while I got a good night of rest and reading. Got to love those sisters. Awesome little getaway.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment