We entered 2023 with a plan. Mid December I had all my challenges with living in Bungendore (namely the cold long winters, no access to water, hayfever capital) collide unexpectedly one fateful afternoon while I was driving. In a state I pulled my car over and called Levi. He listened, paused and responded, 'maybe there is a way I can work remotely?'. All of a sudden, the seed of the idea was planted and by Christmas we were looking for properties in the Hunter Valley. It had long been the dream to live further north, where the weather is beautiful, properties are more affordable, there are rivers aplenty and the beach is within an hours reach. Between Christmas and New Years we took a few days with the kids and drove the area. Talking, planning, dreaming, teasing out options and gradually gaining clarity in the process. Once the new year hit we had direction. We would spend January getting the house finished and ready to put on the market by the end of the month with a brief intermission to hike the Milford Track in New Zealand for Shannon and Mireille's 50th. We tracked well. We finished the house and had it listed in February, all the while looking out for properties and gradually coming to conclusions about what it was we were actually after. We had always thought that 5 acres would be a nice amount but once we actually visited places, we realised we were after a bigger than that. Very quickly we realised how important water, either a river or a dam was. And it became really clear we were more excited about land than we were about the house on the land. In February Levi and I took a weekend to visit some of the properties we had short listed. The first one we saw was ours, and looking back I think I knew it, when I stepped out of the car and took in the view across our valley. But this was a big decision, THE decision and we were determined to be judicious. We drove to others, talking all the way. We stayed the night at the Tocal Homestead which is so picturesque and had a beautiful dinner out in Morpeth. Time to talk, round and round, looking at things from every possible angle, gradually getting closer to knowing our own minds. By the end of the weekend we were sold on what would become our Avonlea and as the months would show, we would fight with all we had to have it.
When the time came for our farewell it was exciting and heart breaking in equal measure. We spent a wonderful last week, really taking the time to say our goodbyes and when we left my cup was full. And then it was done. We were on our way to a new life. Levi and I had a really special 24 hours before settlement. We oversaw the trucks unloaded and then spent the night at The Convent in the Hunter Valley. It was this incredible slice of time, where there was nothing left to do and nothing that could yet be done. We were about to embark on the realisation of our biggest dream and all we could do was celebrate. We were giddy with the thrill of it all. The next day we walked the track to the river and on our way back we got the call. Settlement was through and Avonlea was ours! Mum and Dad bought the kids and our new chapter began.
So it all worked out in the end. We sold our house in just the nick of time and now we live on beautiful Avonlea. A place even more beautiful than we could have hoped or imagined. We made some hard choices, to leave a life we really loved in Bungendore, a brand new house and uproot the kids and start new. Our house on Avonlea is a 1970's build held together with nails and a prayer, so things are far from perfect but we have the things we dreamed off. 26 acres up the road from the river. A big gorgeous dam, a view overlooking the mountains and all 6 minutes from town. The kids walk up the lane to catch the bus to school and every time without fail I watch them and feel overcome with gratitude we are able to give them this country life. When I wake up in the morning and breath in this place, I know that I am home.

No comments:
Post a Comment