Return to Canada


Halifax holds half of my heart and earlier this year the longing to return got strong. I've always wanted to go back in a general sense, Levi and I talk all the time about taking all the kids and sharing it with them, but I started to feel like I really needed to get back there myself and sooner to feel whole again. Levi as always finds a way. We were able to use his frequent flyer points and next minute I was booked in and making plans. I was going to be able to see all my favourite people, do all my favourite things, eat all of my favourite food and just exist in a place that I love. 

Of course I had to return in Summer. There is no better, more gorgeous, more vibrant time in Nova Scotia than July and August, Fall when the leaves are falling is the one exception. So I made plans to leave after my Birthday and spend 10 days at the end of August. What we didn't know at the time of booking was that the timing would turn out to also be in the last few weeks of our time in Bungendore, when packing and sorting would be at the highest. But with a wish and a prayer and lots of plans laid, off I went. I had a week once I was home to finish packing and be ready to move and I hit the ground running. We were really organised and it all came together beautifully, there was time and space for all of our goodbyes. 

Planning for my Nova Scotia trip was a real joy. It didn't take long to create a magic schedule, one I'd literally day dream with all the people, places and things that I have missed so dearly. Looking back now I'm so grateful to everyone who I was able to see and those that travelled to meet me in our shared place. 

Heading to the airport on these solo trips is always a bit of a scene. It's generally been an epic week in the lead up getting things sorted and ready for Levi and getting myself ready. The kids came into the airport and darling Quill was not having it. He wouldn't even smile for the picture, showing his true distain that I was leaving. He of course recovered quickly and was fine. It's hard to leave but once the dust settles and I'm sitting waiting for the flight my nerves start to settle, I begin to relax and the excitement begins. I'm heading to my home away from home. 

First stop - Toronto. I was met at the airport by Jen, Stew and Emerson. We are clocking quite the few airport arrivals between us and they never disappoint. We are always hugging, laughing, marvelling that the other has materialised. We also always attempt to keep the other awake through their jetlag and fail. After tea and presents, Loker/Catton tradition stays strong and the presents never cease to be a highlight, I was off to sleep on the lounge. We had a lovely morning  the next day, with a Stew cooked breakfast on the veranda overlocking Stew's beautiful garden in full Canada bloom. It felt like I'd walked into a technicolour dreamland coming from winter in Bungendore. 

I'd always wanted to visit Westfield Heritage Village in Ontario. It is the keeper of many special Anne of Green Gables movie sets, including the Bright River Train Station and Lawsons Store. I had organised to met Nathan and Caverly and their kids there and that was a lovely reunion. We wandered together with the Loker's and caught up on the past few years. Their kids had grown so much but our friendship was like no time had passed. The grounds were all so quintessentially Canadian, and felt all so true to the green gables story. I was in heaven. The day was full of hello's and goodbyes, such is life as the returning visitors. We had big hugs with the Smith's and said farewell, then to Stew who was off on his annual back country trip with friends. We drove around to Gale and Brian's place to say our hello's and drop Emerson off for a visit. It's always lovely to have this Canadian extended family who have loved and embraced me and my family for so many years. Jen and I then set off to Geoff's place, we meet up with Kate and Duston, Jen's good friends who I hadn't yet met for dinner on the coast of the great lake. We spend the next day as tourists, Jen took me to her favourite yarn store, we visited the site of Shitt's Creek and I go to redo my visit to the Anne of Green Gables movie house and actually explore it a little. Jen and I were nervous, but I was determined and Geoff found a very open and easy access point at the end of the hedges which made us laugh as it wasn't difficult to enter at all. I'm glad the crew was as committed as I was. 

After a good night's sleep Jen and I set off on the next chapter of the adventure. Prince Edward Island. Now this trip held significant meaning. Many moons ago when I came to Canada for Jen and Stew's wedding, Jen was going to meet me in Halifax and go on a trip to PEI together. Unfortunately Jen wasn't able to make it as she'd just started a new job, instead, Stew and their friend Kristen came and we had a blast. But there is nothing like visiting the Island with your very own kindred spirit, so this trip had to happen eventually and it only took us twenty (almost) years and we finally managed it. And it was wonderful. We flew into Halifax, I took a minute to remember how to drive on the other side of the road, we spent the night and then drove out to the ferry next morning. We had a perfect crossing, nibbling and knitting as we went. Coming back to the Island feels like sunshine to me. I love it there. And 20 years on this was my 5th visit, so I was playing tour guide to Jen as this was her first. We started out at the Point Prim lighthouse, which we climbed! Then perused the gift store. Many a souvenir was purchased on this trip. Then onto the yarn trail. We went to Belfast mini mills. My favourite, such good yarn for great prices. We made it to the Anne of Green Gables museum with just the right amount of time to walk the grounds and buy some trinkets. We ran into a lovely group of women wearing the same kindred spirit shirts as us and had a picture. We predicted running into them again across our trip and we did!  We made our way to the Farmhouse Inn which was such a gorgeous orange Bed and Breakfast with it's own matching cat. We had perfect little room looking out to the gardens and aside from my sleep yelling/talking (sigh), we had a perfect stay. We spent the rest of the afternoon at French River, exploring the lighthouse and the beach, capturing perfect kindred spirits pictures and soaking up the PEI sea air. That night we ate at the most perfect little restaurant on the river, Provisions and talked the night away. 

It's amazing how much we did really in just a few days. It was perfectly paced and a joy to share it all with Jen. The next morning we arrived early at the Green Gables and had a beautiful visit. They had expanded the visitor centre since I was last there, so we perused and then on to all the highlights - the house, lovers lane, the haunted wood. We did the walk right through the haunted wood and up to the park where a new LM Montgomery statue has been placed. We stopped in at the post office where she worked and looked through their exhibition, then I sent off postcards to the kids. It was so great to have the time to stroll and do some things I'd missed on previous visits. When we got back to Green Gables we found Anne and Dianne, it couldn't have been more perfect. 

One of the things we had hoped to find on this trip was a special souvenir to mark the occasion. After Green Gables, by chance we found a woollen goods store and after much looking we found the most perfect PEI wool lap blankets. We were thrilled! The good luck continued when we headed into Charlottetown and I found a Kate Spade bag and skirt at a second hand store. Winning. Jen and I love a good shop so we checked out the Winners in town, then had some take out and a little rest before heading off to see the Anne and Gilbert musical. It had changed venues since I'd seen it last and it was fantastic. We were front and centre and loving every minute. 

The next morning was our last, we spent a slow morning enjoying the grounds of the bed and breakfast and then made our way to the ferry back to Halifax. Jen had a plane to catch, so we drove to the airport and said all of our goodbyes. We are always so grateful for the time but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. 

And then it was one. But not for long. The next four days were filled with catching up and connecting with all the dear friends we miss so much from our Halifax days. It was wonderful to connect and chat and catch up on everything that had happened in the past five years since we left. I stayed with Josh and Lyla in Bedford. It was a great little home base which gave me the chance to be close to the lake and our old house and walk some of my old haunts. Josh, Lyla and I had a big adventure planned to George's Island but the weather wasn't in our favour (not totally unexpected in Halifax). Instead we went to the Halifax markets, which moved venues (sadly), but I was able to get some of my favourite baked goods, pick up my new sail bag and chat with the ceramics vendor we use to buy fairy garden ornaments from. The weather held enough for us to wander the waterfront a little and Josh showed me a new food markets which was great. 

It's hard when time feels short and fleeting but I was really able to spend a good few hours with everyone I'd hoped too. I had dinner with the O'Hearons, Karen and Laura were there too which was so nice and  was able to sit on the deck with Jackie and have a really lovely proper chat. I had dinner with Amanda, Jess and Ashley and got to see the Speers and their new place and say hi to Joel and the kids. Jess and I managed to fit in a walk to the Bedford waterfront just like we use to. I spent a beautiful afternoon with Katie and Mark Laliberte. We had lunch and I got to meet their little girls, then we went for a walk I'd wanted to do for years, up Young Ave to  Point Pleasant Park. All the most regal and gorgeous houses in Halifax are along this road and it's the scene of my favourite Anne book - Anne of the Island. We walked and talked and it was so lovely to reconnect. I had a lovely time visiting church and seeing all the old familiar faces. I had a great little impromtu afternoon with Nancy and saw her new apartment. I spent a lovely morning with Gail Chaisson. I picked her up and we had a walk through the Public Gardens, then had a lovely lunch at Lord Nelson. We walked up Spring Garden road and visited Jennifer's of Nova Scotia which always had the best little keep sakes. 

Jen and Camille flew in especially for a few days together at the end of my trip. Sarah joined us too. We stayed at Monica and Dale's apartment while they were away and had a jampacked fun few days planned together. We had dinner and beaver tails on the waterfront, where Camille returned her Nova Scotia sea glass back to the sea, lol. Camille and I got our matching h. tattoo's. We went blueberry picking and pasta eating in the valley despite the rain, this was a have to for me and I'm glad we managed it. We had a lovely breakfast meet up with Jess and had a catch up with Rosin at the White Sails Bakery. Then had a quick stop at Peggy's Cove before spending the afternoon at the spa - a very welcome slow down. We ended our time together with an epic night out in Halifax. We stayed at the hotel in town and danced the night away together til the early hours. Saying goodbye again to these treasures was hard. But we will dream and scheme for our next time together. We are thinking Hawaii! 

I had a slow last day in Halifax. I spent some time around Bedford, sitting on the rock across from my old house and processing some feelings. When I left it, I felt so much gratitude that I got to live this beautiful Canadian dream for 3 wonderful years. I also felt really excited and grateful for the next dream coming true in just a week. I felt ready to close this chapter and begin the next with so much peace in my heart. 

I stayed at Josh's that night and then had chaos ensue in the morning when my first flight was cancelled, throwing all the rest into disarray. It was stressful, but I managed to get myself on flights and eventually got back home. There wasn't much time to worry about it, I was home and straight back into packing and goodbyes. 

I'm so glad that this trip was able to happen. It was such a cathartic experience, connecting to these people and places that make up such a important part of my story, 


No comments:

Post a Comment