What a Year { 2021 }

This past year was a really full and amazing year. Especially for me personally. There was something about the effects of the pandemic that flicked a switch in me. Even though we still had a long lockdown during the year, life gradually approached normality and I was eager to get back to it. With the kids getting older and life settling more into its rhythms, there was room for me to take on some projects and go after things that have meaning for me. When I think back on the year, it was a great one with some local getaways, so many good times as a family and with friends and lots of goals met. 

We had a pretty wet start to the year and beach days were few and far between, but early on we had a little beach getaway to the sleepy town of Tuross Head on the South Coast and had some great weather. Our cabin was right on the beach so we enjoyed playing in the water and giving the kids a turn on the kayaks. Levi got a big kayak in down the estuary and I explored the coastline on a long walk and made some plans of my own for the year. We spent a lovely day exploring nearby Bodella, which is so lush and green and known for their dairy which we thoroughly enjoyed. It was very nice to have a get away after a year of cancelled plans. 

For me this year I really focussed on my health, which to make progress had to become a big priority. Gradually through the year I made the gains I set out to and by the end of the year I had reached my goal. It was a steady, long game and it taught me a lot about myself, I had to dig deep to find the motivation and find different ways to cope with stress. I had to dig deep to get back on track if I was stagnating and keep focus on the end goal. I discovered a lifeline in big, fast walks around Bungendore. When the six week lockdown hit I would head out any chance I could and walked our little town from one end to the other and loved the feeling it gave me, the chance to process things in my mind and move my body. I embarked on a very big sewing project at the start of the year too. I decided to make little children's coats out of vintage wool blankets and sell them at a local market. I spent every nap time of Lily's working on them and in the end I made about 60, between my market sales and custom orders. It was such a fun project. I learnt so much and increased my sewing knowledge and skills hugely. I love seeing little people around town wearing them, people really adore them and I am so glad to have done it. 

A few other big things for me this year were continuing with horse riding, taking the kids to the Women's protest and being on international news for something I care deeply about. I continued to work with the local playground committee in the hope that one day Bungendore will have a big new playground. And I was asked to display my Anne of Green Gables collection at the local library - so local celebrity! 

With a break in covid, Shannon and his family made it down to Sydney to surprise mum and dad and  celebrate mum's birthday. We had a great day in the city together, celebrated Easter, half the family had a great adventure hiking and Dad and I took Finley and Primrose to the Easter show for the first time. So nice after all our plans were cancelled last year. We had our niece Taylor stay with us for a few weeks in July which was wonderful, I helped her make a dress which was great fun. We also had a couple of great trips out to Rosie's place which everyone always loves. 

The trip of the year was Levi's 40th Birthday adventure to the snow. We started off with a magically snowy visit to Yarrongobilly for a swim in the thermal pool and on to our gorgeous accommodation right by Thredbo. Levi, Finley and Primrose had two days of skiing while, Lily Quill and I had great walks, spa baths and snuggled by the fire. It was such a fantastic way to celebrate this big milestone in Levi's life. Winter is cold and long in Bungendore so starting off with the snow trip was great. Though we think some sunny holidays might be called for in future winters. We had a lovely family photoshoot this winter and I am so happy we did. We had them on Alice's property and I love how they turned out. 

We were very lucky with timing, once my birthday arrived in August lockdown had began. We quite literally got the notice as we were driving into Canberra to celebrate my day. Luckily we had til 5pm so our plans carried on and then we found ourselves back to work and school from home. It didn't have any of the novelty this time around, it was a waiting game... waiting for it to be over. We did our best but were all incredibly relieved once it was all over and the kids could return to school. 

Restrictions eased enough for us to have our holiday in Kiama with the Southall's and Johnsons - a traditional we hope to make annual. Because Sydney was still in lockdown we basically had the place to ourselves and we had a magic time together. The kids roaming free and wild and the girls having a great catch up. We have a new found love for Kiama now, we love it there and hope for many more holidays there in the future. 

Levi built the front and back deck for our house. He bought the surf ski he wanted and loved paddling it on the river in Canberra. Finley and Levi went on a Cub Scouts camp to Lake Tabourie camp grounds where they did lots of activities and Levi had his first open water paddle in the surf ski (it was hard). Other than that Levi mainly just worked and parented. Levi was finally able to find someone to replace him in the Hunter class project, and as a result was able to focus more on managing the business full-time, which has made working life easier only having to manage one schedule and set of responsibilities.

As the Christmas season approached this year we had a spectacularly full social calendar. There were all sorts of parties and get togethers in Bungendore and then I headed to Sydney with the kids a week before Christmas and had so many wonderful dinners and meetups with old friends. Levi and I had our special meet up in the city again when he trained it in, those nights are magic. Tate, Hanna and the kids came down for Christmas and we had so much fun together as a big family. There were all sorts of fun and games, beach days, hikes and city visits. Covid was ramping up again but we remained mostly unaffected except for our NYE plans to see Hamilton and the fireworks in the city. We scrambled to find a restaurant and made the most of  our night all the same. Being together was so wonderful and not one of us got covid. Amazing.

Finley has kept on with guitar, soccer, swimming, horse riding and cubs. He loves them all and for now gives his all to them. He is an excellent student and has thrived in Year 3. He loves reading and is often found curled up with a book. More updates on Finley here

Primrose started Kindergarten this year and didn't look back. She was immediately comfortable with her lovely teacher Mrs Lange and demonstrated an absolute love of learning. She is our family angel, peace maker and friend to all. She is swimming, bike and scooter riding, horse riding, dancing and making every moment of life more beautiful. More on Primrose here

Quill is full of life and loves it. He loves making friends and found a bestie in our 7 year old Neighbour Braxton who he spent lots of time with riding bikes on the street. He began learning to swim, loved visiting the op shop and has thrived with 2 days a week at preschool. More on Quill here

Lily, our little baby has become a toddler. She is absolutely adored by every one of us and growing rapidly. More on Lily here

Thanks for an amazing year 2021. Excited for all that is to come in 2022. 





No comments:

Post a Comment