
Ever since having Primrose it has been on my mind to make her a special white dress for when she turned eight and was baptised. I had originally thought I would use my wedding dress for the fabric but everyone was universally horrified by the idea of me cutting into that dress so that idea was shelved. A few years ago though, Hanna asked me if I would like the train to her wedding dress, so I've held onto that and it turned out to be the perfect fabric and amount for the project! Not to mention incredibly special for this keep sake dress.
Making this dress was truly a joy. Primrose and I discussed a few ideas first and looked for inspiration. She wanted it to twirl and to use the pearls from the edge of Hanna's train on the bodice and she agreed to big puffed sleeves. I used an existing pattern, altered the bodice and had fun drafting the sleeves to be just the right amount of puff. I decided on a sheer chiffon fabric over the skirt to give it some lightness and pearl buttons to match the details on the front.
I spent two days working steadily on it and felt fairly confident with only a few little gaps in my knowledge coming to light. I think one day I'll take some lessons to really hone my skills but I feel pretty happy I was able to design and create this dress with the skills I've built up. The fabric was beautiful to work with and knowing I was creating something so special made the whole process so lovely.
Primrose certainly looked like a princess on her special day and I hope she felt like one too. There was lots of twirling and many, many compliments. I'm glad to share with Primrose the magic of wearing a beautiful dress, how it can make you feel and the perfect simple joy to be found in it.





No comments:
Post a Comment